This is Suicide Prevention Month which is a subject that
concerns me to my core. When a person is feeling like life is too overwhelming and the answer appears to be, to end it all, that thought did not just come at that moment. That thought has been playing over and over in the individuals mind for a while. It is a thought that most people don't feel comfortable talking about, for fear that they may be thought of as being crazy or some type of label in the negative. Which is soooo unfortunate, because this is a time that the ear of another person is very much needed. I have heard people say, "there is nothing that bad, that could make a person take their life." Well to most that may appear to be true, but the truth is to the individual considering suicide, something is that bad that would make them decide to take their life.
When I think of suicide t is not a sweep it under the rug kind of thing. What comes in my spirit is, "Why is it so hard for people to share how they feel?" I am sure there are a lot of reasons that could be mentioned, but one reason I know of for sure is this. It is sometimes hard to share because of how you feel after you share what it is you need to say. Everything inside of you says, they don't understand, they think I am crazy, wow did that sound selfish, I did not use the right words, man I should not have said anything. . .the response or reactions of the individual we share with is so vital. It is vital because it may determine whether you do it again. Sometimes, how we feel make others feel as well, and because they have not chosen to do that, the response or reaction is to their own feelings and not yours. We also have to understand that the enemy is counting on us to be silent. His mission is to kill, steal and destroy. . .so here is my challenge to you. Discover that individual you feel comfortable enough with who does not make you feel judged, stupid, crazy, discounted, tolerated. That person who loves you in spite of and willing to help rather than run due to their own stuff. Maybe between the two of you, you both can be helped!!!
Here are some important facts about suicide that we all need to know:
Warning signs of Suicide
· Unbearable feelings: extreme feelings of hopelessness, despair, self-doubt.
· Taking care of business: making end of life plans, preparing wills, giving away valued possessions.
· Rehearsing suicide: discussing suicide methods, purchasing weapons or acquiring large quantities of medication.
· Drug or alcohol use: can cause impulsive behaviors.
· Isolation: cutting off social connections with friends, family, quitting job.
· Sudden sense of calm: a person who was recently feeling upset or hopeless suddenly seems very calm and settled. It might be a sign that he or she has decided on a plan to complete suicide.
Are you feeling suicidal?
· Discuss with your doctor if you are thinking of suicide. It is important to recognize these thoughts for what they are: expressions of a treatable medical illness.These thoughts are not true and they are not your fault. Don’t let fear, shame or embarrassment stand in the way of communication with your physician, therapist, family, or friends: tell someone right now.
· Tell a trusted family member, friend, or other support person.Try not to be alone when you feel this way.
· Get help.Tell your health care professional. Suicidal thinking can be treated. When suicidal thoughts occur, they are your signal that you need help.
· Know that you can get through this and learn to effectively manage your mood disorder.
· Promise yourself you will overcome these feelings for another day, hour, minute, or whatever you can and get help.